The cooler nights and shorter days can only mean one thing, we are nearing the end of tomato season here in Ohio. This year we had a terrible crop, mostly due to a lack of rain and the fact that we were too busy chasing little ones to tend to our garden like we should. As I cleaned out part of our garden beds today I noticed a lot of large, green tomatoes on one of our plants. Time to make Fried Green Tomatoes!
- 4-5 Large Green Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 Tbs Creole Seasoning
- Dash of Salt
- Dash of Pepper
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 3 Tbs Butter
- Slice your tomatoes about a 1/4″ thick.
- Whisk together your egg and milk in a bowl.
- Combine your flour, bread crumbs, creole seasoning, salt, and pepper in another bowl or plate.
- Heat your butter in a pan over low to medium-low heat, preferably cast iron if you have it.
- Dredge each slice of tomato in the egg mixture and then coat it in the flour mixture.
- Fry your slices in batches until golden brown, flipping each slice once, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Drain on a paper towel lined plate allowing them to cool slightly before eating.
We enjoyed ours with a Sriracha-Ranch dip. We combined 2 Tbs sriracha sauce with about a cup of our homemade ranch dressing. This made a nice and spicy sauce to dip our tomatoes in! Yum!